October 18, 2007

LIFE: SUPERIOR, WISCONSIN

The diocese of Superior, Wisconsin, is huge. It comprises 16 counties, and borders Lake Superior (Canada) at its nothernmost. If you're thinking "Brrrrr," you're right.
Diocesan motto: "Not big time, just a good time." Their new bishop, Peter Christensen, is from St. Paul, MN.
http://aolsearch.aol.ca/image_browse?query=bishop peter christensen&first=&last=&imgurl=http://www.catholicnewsagency.com/images/christensen.JPG&refurl=http://www.catholicnewsagency.com/new.php?n=9748&width=140&height=137&requestId=933701bdca640f24&clickedItemRank=2&encquery=bishop peter christensen&page=                  
I went eagle-watching in Superior. I went to all the eagle haunts where the locals swore I would see eagles and eagle nests. They made it sound like eagles are to Superior what pigeons are to Chicago. Nothing. I have been eagle watching many times in my life--at places named "Eagle Lake," "Eagle River," "Eagle Mountain," "Eagle Pond." Nada. (The only bald eagle I've ever seen is on the Muppets.) I'm beginning to think that our "E Pluribus Unum" friends should be put BACK on the endangered list 'cuz I sure haven't seen any! But then again my Dad, who loved moose and spent many summers hiking and mountain-climbing in New Hampshire before he died, never saw a moose. And moose do exist because I saw two the ONE morning my Dad did NOT accompany me to daily Mass one summer in New Hampshire. Serendipity and c'est la vie!

No comments:

Post a Comment